Monday, November 29, 2010

Behind the name

“You’re just as sane as I am.”

Who? What? Why?

Who?
If you’re geeky awesome enough, you already know the “Who”.
Luna Lovegood.
For those unfortunate enough to not have the pleasure of knowing who Luna is, she is a student of Hogwarts, and companion to Harry Potter.

What?
This quote is in her very first lines as she assures Harry he is not the only person who sees the Thestrals (creatures invisible to those who have not witnessed death.)

Why?
Luna Lovegood has to be my favorite character in the series, and for many reasons. She’s quirky, different, silly, sometimes misunderstood, doesn’t let anything get her down, and is just down right awesome. (I would kill for those radish earrings.)
Another part of the why comes from relating to her in some ways and especially relating to this quote.
Sometimes I feel like I’m quirky, sometimes I feel like I’m not all right in the head, and then sometimes I feel like I’m the only sane person out there. And really…we all have our issues, our quirks, and our bouts of sanity.

You’re just as sane as I am.

It’s really mostly a reminder for me that I’m not this strange being who is different, disconnected, and detached from the rest of the universe. Everyone has the same desires, and fears. I’m unique but not different, and I don’t have to fit into a particular mold, trend, or fashion to exist happily.

Now I just have to keep telling myself that.

No comments:

Post a Comment